You probably don’t think too much about unlocking your door on a daily basis, unless your key stops working the way it should. Getting your key stuck in your door can be frustrating, especially if your key still won’t budge after several minutes of pulling and fiddling with your lock. The next time your keys get stuck in the door, try out a few tips from a locksmith in Fairfax, VA to get your keys unstuck.
There are a couple of different issues that can cause your keys to become stuck in your door. Regardless of why this happens, though, there are some basic tips that can help you get your key out of your door. Here are a few things to try the next time your keys get stuck:
- Jiggle your key: This might seem like an obvious strategy to get your key unstuck, but it’s worth a try to free your key from the lock. Try jiggling the key a little bit and turn it slightly from side to side to see if a different position will loosen the key.
- Use a lubricant: There are lots of lubrication products on the market for locking mechanisms. Use a spray canister to apply lubricant directly into the locking mechanism to loosen the key and get it unstuck. Regularly lubricating your door’s locking mechanism can keep it working more effectively and prevent your keys from getting stuck in the door.
- Stabilize the lock: If your lock is loose, your key might not work the way it’s supposed to. Try holding the lock and applying pressure to create resistance between your lock and your key. While you’re applying pressure to your lock, try turning your key to unlock the door. If this works, it’s possible that all you need to do is tighten your lock to keep it stabilized when you use your key.
- Use a cold pack: Believe it or not, applying an ice pack to your key can cause the metal to contract and free it from your lock. This is an especially good trick to try if it’s hot outside and your lock has been in direct sunlight that might be causing the metal to expand.
- Call a locksmith: If nothing is working to get your key unstuck from your door, reach out to a locksmith in Fairfax, VA for help. They will be able to get your key unstuck and maintain your lock to improve operation. If your lock is old and worn out, a locksmith can provide lock replacement services to keep your door secure and prevent malfunctions in the future.
Locksmith in Fairfax, VA
If your keys are stuck in the door or you’re having other issues with your locks, reach out to Artie’s Lock and Key. We offer comprehensive locksmith services, including mobile services. We can perform a thorough inspection of your lock and provide the services and products you need to get your lock functioning reliably again. Give us a call today to find out more about what we have to offer and to request a service quote.
Categorised in: Locksmith
This post was written by Writer