Why Is My Car Key Not Working?September 17, 2020 8:39 pm Leave your thoughts
Most people rely on their vehicles to transport them around town. Whether you’re driving to work or taking the kids to school, you and your family depend on your car every day. So, when you go out to your car, truck or SUV, and your key doesn’t function properly, you’re frustrated with the situation and unsure how to fix it. In fact, you’re probably reading this because you searched for “car key not working” in Fairfax, VA!
A variety of car keys available
When you call a locksmith about a broken car key in Fairfax, VA, it’s helpful to know what kind of key you use. This information makes it easier for the locksmith to quickly and correctly fix the problem. Cars from 1995 or earlier usually operate with a traditional key. This key starts the vehicle as well as unlocking the doors and trunk. Newer vehicles use keys with transponders or some keyless remote option. Depending on your vehicle’s make and model, there’s a few common problems that might occur with a key fob.
Six reasons your car key isn’t working
A damaged car key can ruin your day. From meetings to children’s extracurricular, you have a schedule, and you need to stick to it. When something like car key issues in Fairfax, VA occurs, your whole schedule feels the impact:
- Lock issues: The most common issue with car keys occurs when a regular key breaks in the automobile’s lock. You put the key in the lock and turn it, only to have the stem break off entirely. Usually, keys break in this way when drivers fail to maintain the locks on their vehicles using appropriate lubricants.
- Damaged key: Traditional keys may bend or wear down over time. Technical issues cause key fobs to stop working. Either way, a bent key or malfunctioning fob will make it impossible to start your car.
- Bad copy: A key duplicated too many times might yield useless copies that just don’t work. Only make copies of the original key rather than reproducing a key based on a copy, unless you want to spend your time dealing with a car key not working in Fairfax, VA.
- Broken ignition cylinder: When your key works in your car’s locks but won’t start the vehicle, this indicates a problem with the ignition cylinder.
- Broken key fob: Like any electronic mechanism, key fobs won’t work if they’re dropped, exposed to water or crushed. Be careful when handling fobs, as they are more delicate than they appear.
- Lost initial programming: When the battery dies in a key fob, you lose all of the initial programming that pairs the device to your vehicle. Once you’ve installed a new battery in your fob, you have to pair the key to your car to get it to work.
Now that you better understand the causes of a broken car key in Fairfax, VA, it’s time to get in touch with a locksmith that can get you back on the road as soon as possible. Contact the experts at Artie’s Lock and Key now for prompt, reliable service.
Categorised in: Auto Locksmith
This post was written by Writer