How to Decide if You Need a Lock Repair or a Lock ReplacementOctober 4, 2022 12:00 am Leave your thoughts
Locks are an essential part of your home’s security. They keep you and your family safe from burglars and intruders. However, locks are not immune to damage. Over time, they can become worn down and eventually stop working as they should. When this happens, you’ll need to determine whether a repair or replacement is the wisest choice. Should I repair my lock or get it replaced? Read on to find out.
When to Repair Your Lock
Lock repair is less costly than replacement. That’s why many homeowners opt for this route when their locks start to malfunction. But just because the repair is less expensive, that doesn’t mean it’s always the best option. There are only certain circumstances in which you should consider repair over replacement. Here are some of them:
- Turning the key becomes hard: If you have to put a lot of effort into turning the key, it’s likely that your lock is just dirty. Over time, dust and debris can build up inside the lock, making it difficult to turn. In this case, repair work should do the trick.
- The key gets stuck: Nothing can be more frustrating than having your key get stuck in the lock. Sometimes the inside parts of the lock can fail and trap the key inside. A professional locksmith can take the lock apart and fix the problem, so you can get your key back and continue using the lock.
- Jammed locking mechanism: Locks are prone to jamming. You put in the key and when you try to open it, nothing happens. Get a locksmith to take a look at your lock and repair any jammed parts.
When to Replace Your Lock
Do locks need to be replaced? Even though this option is more expensive, there are certain instances when it’s the best course of action. Here are some of them:
- The lock is old and worn out: If your lock is old, it may be time to replace it. Over time, locks can become worn down and stop working as they should. Rather than risking a break-in, it’s best to replace the lock before it fails completely. If your lock is more than seven years old, it’s probably time for a replacement.
- The lock is extensively damaged: As we mentioned, locks are not immune to damage. If your lock has been damaged extensively, it’s best to replace it rather than try to repair it. Extensive damage can weaken the lock, making it more susceptible to break-ins. Even if you repair it, you’ll spend a lot of money.
- You’ve had a recent break-in: If your home has been broken into, it’s crucial to replace the locks right away. This is because burglars may come later thinking they can easily get back in. Replacing the locks will give you peace of mind. Consider upgrading to a higher security lock as well.
Hopefully, this article has helped you understand when to repair or replace your lock. If you’re unsure, it’s always best to consult a professional locksmith. They will assess the damage and recommend the best course of action. Don’t take chances with your home’s security. If your lock is damaged, get it fixed right away.
Categorised in: New Lock Replacement
This post was written by admin